Monday, July 2, 2012

The spirit of the people



Yesterday, I wished I was a Spaniard. The joy in the faces of the Spanish people, when it became apparent that they were going to win the Euro 2012 cup, was huge enough to make them forget their economic hardship for a while. And that’s the power that football has; power to erase your travails and misfortunes, especially when your side is leading; Power to restore your faith, hope and patriotism to your nation no matter how bleak the reality may seem. Hmmm, but when the match ended, reality dawned on me, and I realized my Nigerianness. And I wondered, what straw can this Nation offer her citizens to tickle their patriotism and faith?




Of late, Nigeria is just a country which floats in the cosmos without a discoverable purpose. Our leaders keep trying (they won't succeed) to rekindle our faith by offering consolatory assurances, in a bid to keep us silent while they pack our monies in Ghana-must-go bags and bury under their houses. O no, it’s easier to steal now with the e-cash system; they just wire our monies wherever they feel it’s safe. But, we are watching…

With corruption, they have killed our football, they have killed our cultures, they have killed our identities, they are killing our votes and very soon, they will seek to kill us…




No comments:

Post a Comment